Bush is more of a sportsman, in spite of the killdeer he shot as a dove for the cameras in TX, while Gore would protect the environment that supports the wildlife--without particularly catering to sportsmen. So, you get some good and some bad with either one.

But this I know. I worked for the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission when the guard changed from Ann Richards to Dubya. I was there when the commissioners of my agency (and a good many of the staff as well) were phased out in favor of appointments of people with chemical manufacturing and oil resumes. The conflict of interest meant nothing.

The improved fishing in TX has nothing to do with the governor--A NET BAN WAS PASSED BEFORE BUSH. The number of years without a hard freeze in the bays is far more important than anything he did. The miles of stream not meeting water quality criteria also has nothing to do with him--Texas is so bad EPA will not hand the state any authority for surface waters protection before, during, and probably after Bush. Much of the problem is from direct, untreated discharges from: oilfields!

The negative change in environmental tone in the TX environmental agencies when Bush got elected was startling. It was back to the "good old days". His principle public lands advisor is heavily into the concept of divesting all public lands--INCLUDING NATIONAL PARKS--to the private sector. Hell, it works in Texas...

That said, some of the best cared for environments in the world are on big private ranches. I bowhunted the King Ranch, and it was like going back to the mid-1800s in terms of wildlife and lack of human impact. That was only because I knew a commissioner with a high dollar lease. Not being a landowner in TX is the same as not haveing access to the resource. Except the coast, its wide open and avialable to anyone, and a great place to fish now that the fish are back.

So I am clear. If it came down to it, I would rather have the environment and its fish and wildlife, than have a sportman-supporting president but a diminished resource.