The world according to Dan:

1. Grandpa gave his life so that people like us could continue to enjoy the freedoms the founding fathers carved out for us. I think the right to keep and bear arms should be completely protected. No, Charleton Heston isn't my president, but he is right....

2. Having said that, I also agree that with such a weighty right comes an equally weighty responsibility. There is no excuse for bullying with firearms. There is no excuse for carelessly leaving one around where a child can find it a have a tragedy. There is no decent reason to ever try to intimidate or act macho with a firearm of any type. There is sometimes a bona fide use for protection (check out the column in every edition of National Rifleman). Choice number 1 would always be no confrontation. However, I'd rather my wife shoot some ******* that tried to rape her than have her be unarmed.

3. I do have the same pet peeve Coho has WRT people who feel the need to brag that they're packing heat. That's scary to me.

4. I guess guns aren't much different than cars to me: The fact that some people are absolutely idots with them doesn't mean that I am unsafe with them. I wouldn't vote to take away your car because some other idiot got behind the wheel drunk.

WITH RIGHTS COME RESPONSIBILITIES. Ask my kids.

Fisherdan