Thought that I could just let this one pass, but I've just got to put my .02 in. I pack a Smith&Wesson .45 everywhere I go......Especially fishing. I carry my .45 concealed and about99% of the time, nobody has any idea that I'm packing. I pack for a couple of reasons, first and foremost, I fish alone most of the time. Not only do i fish alone, but most of the areas I fish are somewhat remote. I was fishing for Summer runs on a Local river last summer, it was about 3:00 AM and I was all by myself, in the middle of nowhere with nothing around...... Not even my .45, I had forgotten to strap it on that day. All of a sudden, I hear something behind me go snap. I wirl round and what do I see but a great big cat standing about thirty feet behind me! Luckily, that cat ran off as soon as I whirled around on him, but you can imagine how badly I'd have liked to have been packing that day. I was so freaked out that hiked all the way back to the truck and went home...... I never even wet a line! So I'd say that cougars are a pretty damn good reason to pack a gun. I'd also say that people who think that they're tough guys and that only wussies would ever pack guns and that if anyone ever gave them trouble they'd just fight it out, well people like that are the other reason I pack a gun.