The first line of my original post:
Quote:
A lot of debate can come from this post...
As an active duty military member (Navy Chief Petty Officer) for the last 17 years, I'd like to pass you folks part of "our" Oath of Enlistment/Reenlistment, "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States..."
That's a powerful statement huh? Why do we military members uphold this? We all have different reasons, but the main reason, to protect our freedom of this great country and personal rights of individuals. IMO, to attack someone's beliefs and rights is not the American way (although, by rights, your are entitled to do so). Our Founders had enough vision to place a "Right to Bear Arms" in the Constitution for a purpose- To Protect Thyself, Family and Property. Try and visualize where we would be in this day and age w/o this Constitutional Right- who knows? It's a scary thought. If you disagree, maybe we don't need an ALL VOLUNTEER FORCE to protect your rights- we won't have rights at that stage.

What you don't see on TV or hear are the sacrifices our men and women make everyday for our freedom: 6-8 month deployments away from family and loved-ones, up to 20 hour work days, physical and emotional stress, etc... If you've been there, God Bless. If you haven't, we need to trade jobs... I'll gladly head down stream for BBQ'd Springers and brewski instead of basking in the Arabian Gulf sun, not seeing land for a couple months, not having quality family time, not being able to swing a spey pattern through a tailout any day. Above all, don't forget those who have gone before us! Because of them, we are a great nation with the freedom to make choices!

My venting here is not to choose sides on packing or not to pack. Rather a reminder of what it has taken to get America to where she's at today. I may not agree with all of the Constitution, but rest assured I'll support and defend it. Please don't try and change our Constitution with control measures. Respect and abide by it. With changes, we'll eventually lose our rights. We may not see it in our lifetime, but how about your grandchildren's children? It ain't broke so don't try and fix it!

If you read my first post, you'll know that I pack in remote areas. If I get myself in a situation where I could get shot, well that's my own dumb fault- shoot me!

Ok... I vented the $3.07 version.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter