Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
And just looking at how CCA has fought its past battles on the East Coast and Gulf States, the strategy starts with CONSERVATION first. The allocative repercussions are secondary. It just so happens that the allocative outcomes overwhelmingly came out if favor of recreational users in those areas.

Because gillnetting and conservation are at polar odds in mixed-stock fisheries, they are NOT compatible with responsible stewardship of the diverse fish resources of ANY basin.

CCA has articulated that position so well in every other region of the country that the PNW is the ONLY place left in the good ol' USA that gillnets enjoy free reign.

Like it or not, that's about to change.

Good comments, Doc. This is as accurate as I have seen.

I have lived, and fished, in The Gulf before and during the initial CCA efforts to limit commercial non selective fishing.
Before CCA: stressed fisheries, bad fishing, everybody fighting for an allocation. Very ugly. -3
After CCA: improved (but still stressed fisheries), markedly improved fishing, improved and not perfect regulations. Lots more progress than fragmented sports fisheries. +4

I understand both "sides" of the discussion and think we are at a tipping point. I send, with deep and best regards, Thanks!, to the many groups and individuals who have gone before but think it is time to go to the next step. Just my thoughts, and not hasty thoughts. And I am about to send another order to rvrfshr.

Lets continue to really look at what is going on. Good, and uncomfortable, conversation.