Originally Posted By: snit
[/quote]Idaho isn't that far, why not move away from the libtards, move in next to bubba a burn a MAGA cross in your front yard.

That is a distinct possibility for us, as the property values continue to escalate in Central Wa. With the increase in property values, our property taxes have steadily increased as well. Mainly driven by the retiring implants from parts to the West and South (but not entirely, as there's increased industry, plus additional medical facilities as well). Subsequently, the surrounding areas of my 'burg are expanding to accommodate these new inhabitants.

This all adds up to "more people", in an area where the cities infrastructure was designed 40+ years ago. There have been some modernizations, but overall the towns are WAY behind in upgrading. With more people comes the problems that larger towns have; how to balance the budgets and where to distribute the monies (City/County), increased crime (unsure if there's an exponetional relationship?), and for me personally the loss of the "smaller town feel".

Now the last issue is totally subjective, as a lot of the folks moving in are doing so for this very reason. And within 2 years (once the kid is done with HS/AA) we may be moving away. It's all relative, eh? At least we'll do well on resale. [/quote]

I got bad news for you Snit, your are more than welcome here but if you are looking to escape higher home prices and higher property taxes that train left the station here about 6 years ago. In the Coeur d' Alene and Post Falls area housing prices have risen dramatically in the last 5 years and along with that property taxes because of increased assessed value. We moved here almost 11 years ago and there were plenty of houses available under $200K, not now, in fact there really isn't any housing available, unless you can outbid 11 other people. My house has gone up over $200,000 in 5 years. My neighbor across the street had 13 bids over the asking price, one was for $50k over his asking price. The house was gone in less than 24 hours.

We are getting droves of people moving in from the Seattle area, Texas, California, and Arizona. Now that many people can work from home that has just accelerated the number of people moving here. Traffic congestion is becoming a real problem and our infrastructure is falling way behind. Locals are upset because they are being priced out and even rents have gone up substantially.

We have a state income tax of about 7.6% and a 6% sales tax, which includes food (however you get a rebate on the food part at tax time). There is no tax on services, for example when I had a landscaper come in I didn't have to pay tax on the plants and other items because it was considered service. With that said, not sure how you would fair on taxes; definitely less then the Seattle area, where I came from. you also get a break on property taxes, but the fast paced housing market is still driving property taxes up.

Consider the cost of medical too. What you pay varies from state to state, and county to county.

Overall though it cost less to live here because wages are so low.