Originally Posted By: freespool
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
Over fishing, Over harvest whatever you choose to call it gets my vote along with all these other factors mentioned including ocean conditions starting with A in the alphabet of Acidification http://www.ocean-acidification.net/OAdocs/SPM-lorezv2.pdf and moving on to the other letters of the alphabet from there. I'll add disease and pollution to the list started.

Cancer harms the body when damaged cells divide uncontrollably to form lumps or masses of tissue called tumors.

IMO overfishing was the start of this cancer that began the weakening process and all the other factors or pieces of the puzzle could be the death blow if not managed correctly.

So weak, that since we have moved out of the CR to the OP I’ll add PS to the list where a quilt of woven gill nets across these tribs or rivers could and has extirpated runs of fish.

So why would fisheries scientists ignore over harvest as a limiting factor for recovery?
Clearly hundreds of scientific stock assessments show habitat as the limiting factor for recovery, yet you say it's over harvest.
Other than a gut feeling, can you show any data that shows where this is really a factor.

History .

Fishing was in full swing in the 1800’s on the CR in the NW territories. Before the time WA entered into the union there was already cries of more fish being caught than could be replenished from spawning grounds. WA became a state in 1889. The beginning of building of hatcheries to supplement the runs occurred before 1900.

The CR fish were only intercepted terminally, with no dams, plenty of habitat ,water quality, no urban sprawl.

I’m not here to dismiss your top 5 list would be nice to see again, but the documented tonnage taken from the CR was over fishing according to the people of that time and also F&W starting 1889 and supplemented with hatchery fish.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them