Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake but got to thinking about how the $95.00 ticket could be reduced to $59.00 by purchasing a Discover Pass and wondered if someone receiving a ticket for unlawful use of a WDFW site could opt to purchase a qualifying license and get the same break on the ticket. Nope! Doesn't work that way!

Question to WDFW:

"The fine for not having a Discover Pass is $95.00 but reduced to $59.00 if one buys a pass within a specific time frame (30 days?). My question is does someone who is ticketed on WDFW lands for not having a Discover Pass or a (now complimentary) VUP issued with the purchase of a qualifying license have the choice of purchasing either the Discover Pass or a qualifying license to “earn” the reduced fine?"

Response from WDFW:

"If you were to receive a ticket for not having the Discover Pass and were planning to make a purchase to reduce the cost of the fine, you would need to purchase a Discover Pass, purchasing a WDFW Fishing/hunting License with complimentary Vehicle Access Permit or purchasing just a Vehicle Access Permit would not suffice."

Sure doesn't seem reasonable to me. If someone uses a WDFW site without a VAP or Discover Pass and is ticketed (presumably by WDFW enforcement) and the perp decides to cut his/her loss the only option is the Discover Pass which generates $2.40 to WDFW.

Not worth LE's time to do a pass through the parking lot let alone write a ticket.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)