Originally Posted By: snit
Nick

That's been the majority of my experiences with Wa St late rifle whitetail season in the NE as well, since the mid 90's. WDFW has adjusted the season's overall, so the rifle hunter just barely gets a glimpse of the rut (it appears to me at least). Sure, there are some "rutting bucks" but those dummies usually get wacked, toot-sweet. Mid to late 80's in the NE was fantastic hunting, as the season ran through T-day, and half of Spokane didn't head North to hunt as well.

If I want to hunt a late whitetail; ideally it's a special permit where the number of hunters are controlled, or I go to a neighboring state where the season runs to the end of November. Road trips are always fun regardless though! Glad you got to see some different scenery too.

I chased elk around the neighborhood this weekend, and the bulls are still chasing cows and bugling. Gotta be a couple of cows that they missed last month and that has these 2 big bulls pissed off! I keep finding cow/calfs pairs, rather than a barren cow for my tag but I have lots of time too.

Truth! The rut over there generally gets going right at the end of late rifle. So there are only maybe 2 - 3 good days before it shuts down on the 20th. The late muzzy season that starts on the 25th might be a good bet too.

I told Todd that next year, we need to take the last few days off and then, if unsuccessful, immediately drive back over here for the late BT season.

The good news is that the BT rut is still going strong, so there should be some good action these last 4 days. Our landowner notified me that there was a 5x4 standing in his driveway the other day. I'm thinking he's a new buck that we haven't got on camera before. Hope he's still around come Thursday.

Good luck filling your cow tag Snit. Dry cows can be a pain in the butt to find, but they're out there. Gotta keep after it my man!