Originally Posted By: Chum Man
Never knew you'd started chasing warm blooded stuff around Matt, guess it's been way too damned long since we've talked. I took my first whitetail this year, a little 3 point. Usually chase blacktails out toward the coast, but got invited out to a public land deer camp north of Spokane with some extended family this year and got to try something new.

Definitely got a crash course on whitetail behavior, and learned that my slow creeping through the woods doesn't work so well. I was used to blacktails that run 20 feet and stop to look back; these things just run like hell for the next county. After busting 3 my first day (1 of which a family member that was posted up in the meadow below me shot), I decided that the next day I would find a place and just stay put as long as I could stand. I actually found an old ground blind that someone had built out of logs years back, and assumed that it was there for a good reason. After only about 20 minutes of waiting, a buck come through and stuck his neck out a little too far, and the rest was history.

Hey Kyle... it has been a while. Congrats on getting a buck!

I’ve only been deer hunting the last few years really. Been expanding things a bit beyond the bird hunting I’ve grown up with. I’ve had plenty of opportunities for tagging a doe, just no masher King Kong bucks yet. It’s been fun learning about deer and I’m confident with the skills I’ve developed so far. It’s only a matter of time for me now. I’ve learned quite a bit about blacktail but I may have to head East and pop the cherry with a whitetail.

Thankfully it was a pretty solid year chinook fishing for me... so at least the freezer is stocked with plenty of fish.