The Kimber is sporting a VX-6 4-24x52. It as the CDS reticle system on that supposedly will let me dial it out to 600 yards or so. It's sighted in at 200. I'm guessing one of Keith's Klangers is gonna seem awfully damn small at the distances he's talking about!

I would prefer to shoot an animal in the 200-300 yard range. In actuality, every animal I have either shot at, or killed has been less than 200 yards.

My other two Rem Mod 700's (7mmMag and .270) are sporting BigStick Industries recommended FX 6x42's fitted with an M1 elevation turret. They have the MOA info taped on the stocks to theoretically reach out to 500+ yards, but I've yet to sling boolits out of them past 200. They are both reallygood shooters, but the scopes are just not up to snuff for long distances.

I have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 on my ArmaLite Ar-10 .308. No MOA turrets and I've checked with Vortex on upgrades - there are none. I won this scope in a SRC and it's been a good fit on that rifle. Sighted out to 200. I did shoot this rifle at a human sized klanger at 1,000 yards and hit the frame. I was using some random military ball ammo and was all over the place at those long yards. Rifle was suppressed as well. The trigger on this rifle sucks ass and I just haven't bothered upgrading it.

I do love the glass of the FX's on a hunt where I'm moving, in trees, etc. The VX will be fine situated on a mountain side zeroing in on BuckZilla that I glassed from a mile away and put a stalk on it to where I'm within shooting range.

I purchased a new Marlin 1895 Guide Model 45-70 for a supposed tribal land bear hunt that never happened. Beautiful gun and was really damn accurate with open sights at 0-50 yards. Like really damn accurate. I stupidly traded it for a handgun a few years back and I'm pretty sure I lost on that deal. Wish I still had it.....although I never did shoot it when I had it as ammo is expensive for it, I hadn't standardized on a factory load for it, and it's a bit on the harsh side as a general plinking gun.

I don't think I'd recommend a Kimber Mountain Ascent to anyone. While it does shoot well, it's a fickle pickle to shoot properly. There's no room for errors...which can and does happen while on the hunt. I'll be surprised if I can hit the long targets with this rifle.

I should have saved my pennies and had a custom rifle built, per the recommendation of WDFW. He's got some sweet sticks that I'd seriously look in too if I was in the market for a long fun.

I don't recall who makes them, but if WDFW is reading this, maybe he can chime in.

Anyone want to buy a mostly-new Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 WSM and fitted with the above mentioned scope? Has less than 54 rounds through it, presuming the factory put 4 test fire rounds through it. I'm about $2,500 in to this rifle and scope and that is what I'd let it go for. It's super light and shoots as advertised by Kimber. Feels great on the shoulder, on the pack, or in the hands and shoulder. If there's a miss or the boolit didn't go where you wanted it too, it's a shooter or ammo issue, not a rifle issue.