Originally Posted By: elparquito

Fire up that magic softwares of yours and tell me what I should be reloading for my Kimber!

....not that I own any reloading stuff, or would have a clue how to reload.

What "base" would you start with if you owned that Kimber?

A curious mind wants to know.

Even better, just make up some loads for me for when I get there. You should have worked your magic by that time.

It's not quite that easy. We would want to go through a few steps to determine the harmonic node / velocity node your barrel likes. We'd start with a ladder test that you load in .5 grain increments. This accomplishes finding how hot you can load to (eventually showing pressure signs) and also will tell us how it's vertically dispersing.

Believe it or not this test is ran as far out as the weather conditions will allow, and if a calm day we'd test it at 800-1000 yards as it amplifies the evidence of vertical dispersion. In that ladder test, we'd load 2 of each bullet charge and sharpie the bullet a specific color for each .5 grain increment. Example, 65.0 grains red, 65.5 blue, 66.0 green, etc. We'd set up a 5x5' target and cover it with white butcher paper and draw a verticle line down the center with a bullseye in the middle. First we'd shoot a couple dummy loads from powder charges at the beginning of the ladder test to get you vertically near bullseye, then start on a clean slate target. We'd start sending the color coded bullets from above, the color coding helps us keep track of the powder charge on the white butcher paper.

As we shoot and allow the barrel to cool between shots, we watch impacts and the only thing we pay attention to is the vertical disperson. 99 out of 100 times you will find in that ladder test 1 grain of powder charge this shows roughly 1/2 MOA vertical disperson, then we'd shoot the 2nd ladder test loaded identical to the first to verify the evidence. For example if we were shooting 800 yards, you'd see roughly 4" of vertical disperson which is 1/2 MOA. If it's a great shooting gun and the barrel loved the bullet of choice, we could even see 1/4 MOA. Most factory guns will produce 1/2 MOA imho, at least those that I've loaded for so far.

After the ladder test is done, and we found that powder charge that has the least vertical dispersion then we'd go back and load in that powder charge and run a seating depth test. Seating depth is how close we seat the bullet to the lands. We'd load 3 bullets .005" off the lands, 3 at .030" off, 3 at .055" off and 3 at .080" off and shoot those at 200 yards to look for the tightest groups. Somewhere in that seating depth test we'd see grouping tighten up left to right. We'd do this while measuring velocities with my Lab Radar to get an idea of the Extreme spread (ES) and Standard deviation (SD) of that powder charge. We'd likely see velocities with an extreme spread less than 15fps and SD around 5fps. A SD of 5fps or less will affect the vertical dispersion rough 1/2 MOA at 1000 or 1.25", if the SD was 10fps it would be 1 MOA at 1000 which is 2.5". The scope you have is a .25" click scope so when we start shooting 1000 yards 1 click is 2.5" left, right up or down so it's super super important that we have all the above data done first...

Then you'd have a gun that can shoot some distance with accuracy.. Last would be to download Ballistic AE on your phone and we'd set that up to the gun/load so it would give you the correct adjustments in MOA for the distance of choice.

SD chart for reference...

Keith