[So, my answer to the original question...selective commercial fishing will not ruin sportfishing in and of itself, nor will it save fish or sportfishing in and of itself...when it's used properly, it may help both fish and fishing, and when it's used improperly, it may hurt both fish and fishing.]

"When it's used properly" is a huge statement! I agree with Todd on this one statement. However the commercial industry has alwys been considered by the managers to be a self reporting, transparent fishery that would ALWAYS sell their catch to a licensed buyer therefore their reports are taken at face value. Really?

The sport numbers are extrapolated because of economics. It simply isn't possible to check every fisherman. If you look back at the LE letter that was submitted several years ago and the replies from both agencies it was obvious they are not interested in changing the reporting sytem. It is a joke!

Another assumption being made is that seines will take ALL the fish. Anyone been out on the Columbia recently since the mop up fishery took place? What the hell do you think is going on there? do you think they might get most of the fish? (And kill a few Steelhead in the process)

I agree wholeheartedly with Todd on the selectivity process but to assume the impacts will remain the same and we will just kill them all is a bit of a stretch.

I was at more than a few of the compact hearings and if anyone thinks Idaho is going to sit still while seines kill all the fish they toss in the mix, think again. They have made it pretty clear they are tired of releasing millions and watching us kill em all.

And 50% or the harvestable fish still belong to the tribes last time I checked. I sure wouldn't get my drawers in a wad over seines killing all the fish below Bonneville.

As for the lower tribs? do you really prefer Mop up fisheries with a gill net? Been on the Lewis the last few days?

Otherwise I'm retired!