Of course there will be a negative impact on keepable hatchery fish for us sportfishers but a positive impact on wild fish. Basically the more effective the netters are at successfully releasing wild fish the more hatchery fish they will be able to kill. Both the commercials and sporties are given a certain % of the mortality rate. DFW and north of falcon or whoever else is involved make a run size estimate than decide what % of the mortality rate each fishing party gets and that determines how many hatchery fish can be kept. For every so many hatchery fish caught they figure a wild will die during the hook,fight and release process. This is what has had me worried about CCA. CCA has pushed for this selective netting stuff but its kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. I am all for wild fish but it sure is nice to have long seasons for springers and summer kings that eat good on the table. I just don't see wild fish numbers on the columbia to rebound to a point where we can kill them anytime soon due to selective netting. With the exception of the fall URB's. Only way this would make me happy would be if the netters mort. rate is dropped considerably. Either way we will be screwed.

Edited by stlhdr42 (10/21/10 07:05 PM)