This was no surprise. It was nice of the Park to let us know early. The Queets is kind of a unique situation. WDFW has no real power. The Quinault's control the Water from the Ocean to the National Park. The fish do not pass through any WDFW controlled area. There is a small piece on the Salmon.

For YEARS the Park & WDFW have been trying to work with the Tribe for both Steelhead & Coho. Both have had a hard time making Escapement. Which is kind of mind boggling when you consider the distance between the Ocean & Pristine Park is small. It sure isn't the Recs taking to many fish. Netting as many days as they do has taken its toll. Yet the Quinault's keep on going.

I got a laugh when I read their Press Release on Coho fishing. Kind of Hypocritical when you look at the facts in general on Salmon & Steelhead. How many fish did they take before they stopped netting? Maybe they realized they screwed up and want to pass the blame if fish don't make it to the grounds.

Why isn't the Tribe clipping their Hatchery Steelhead on the Salmon? I know the Park has asked for years and it has fallen on Deaf Ears. I believe the Park offered to pay for clipping at least 1 year. But why should they?

Right now the Quinault's have a Monopoly on the Queets & Salmon. Why should they change it? There is no incentive. They are rewarded. Want to go with a Tribal Guide for Steelhead until 1/31/24? Salmon R 2, Queets 2. Us ZERO.

One interesting point. Last season on Facebook a # of Tribal members were complaining about the amount of people fishing the Salmon and all the Guides who aren't really Guides. The issues are that there is no room for them to take their kids, grandkids etc. For them to teach the kids as they were taught. Then there were people who posted that Tribal members should be able to make $$ and how would they control the Guides.

Bottom line is until the Tribe, WDFW & Park get on the same page with Escapement #'s we won't be fishing the Queets on a regular basis. As the Hoh & Quileute systems trend recovery the Pristine Queets struggles. Maybe it's time to put pressure on the Tribe to come to an agreement with WDFW & Park. Right now the difference of Escapement goals on the Queets is pretty wide.

Just remember. They love your $$$$ and they love their Monopoly on Winter Steelhead.