Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Others here on the Board have more detailed information but a while back a group (organized) staged a fish-in on the Skagit, I believe, using no-hook flies. It was all a very public and publicized protest fishery.

I was a technical advisor to the group that organized "Occupy Skagit." WDFW was notified in advance that the "fish in" would occur on a specific day at a specific location (Rockport and nearby) as a part of the larger effort to move WDFW to action to develop a Skagit specific management plan that would pass ESA muster so that the traditional catch-and-release steelhead season could occur in Feb., Mar., and Apr. when forecasted run sizes would allow fishing. The fish in occurred with artificial lures and flies without hooks or with hooks cut off at the bend. In addition, some casting instructors have held casting lessons on the Snoqualmie and Skykomish Rivers, again giving WDFW notice of dates and locations in advance. I think this is significantly, and probably legally, different than if I just take off on my own, fishing hookless flies whenever and wherever I want with no notification to WDFW.