Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Interesting you bring that up SF. When the departments merged they changed Puyallup hatchery operations, by moving steelhead production from the Puy trout hatchery and some other locations to Voights. Never was the same after that. Upper Puy hatchery release locations such as, hwy 162 bridges, McMillin, 116th, BMX, Antones, all stopped, returns fell along with catches. Supposedly 250-350k plants, if legit, produced squat out of Voights, compared to 100-200k distributed around to above locations. Another declining cause, was the elimination of the Carbon/ Puy broodstock program in the early 80's. It was just seeing returns getting going when lethal spawning wilds became an issue and shut it down. Bottom line is to many predators in Puget Sound feasting on Salmonids, the ongoing migration research shows it. No gonads to manage the seals and cormorants. Today I think there are good enough wild Puy numbers for a C&R fishery in Feb. and March, just no way to prove it, and the tribe will never buy into it anyway. Sucks balz!!!

Pretty amazing how quickly it dropped off. If I recall, 84 or 85 was a banner year on the Puyallup.
When WDFW updated their website, a lot of the old data regarding plants and harvest numbers disappeared off their site. Luckily you can still find them using the WayBack Machine.
I was looking at some old numbers today. In 2002 the harvest numbers for winters was 64 for the Puyallup. In 2008, the plant numbers were 162K, the Green got 257K and the Snohomish system got 439K.
SF

Was #2 in the state that season, with a winter sport catch of 10,305. the Cowlitz was #1's with 16,102. Don't forget the projection factor, sometimes over 2.00. I was a numbers nut back then. That season the stars alligned state wide, and was good everywhere.(Exceptional smolt survival)!
Not sure what you mean by Wayback Machine for smolt plant info? I do have the sport harvest stats, that WDG printed out starting in 1983, and some old ones from back in the 40's-70's but don't have the smolt plant info to match until 1988 on. Then,the Puy plants were pretty consistant 100-150k. If the numbers are correct survival was the key to good returns, which we haven't had in along time. IMO increased predation I think is the major culprit! I watch the cormorants work the lower PUY every spring feasting on outward smolt. There numbers along with pinnipeds were not around in the 80's previous. We should be doing more to stop that! Although a social and political hot potatoe, could be overnight results!

The WayBack Machine is a web archive site that is a good source to help find information that is no longer currently on the web.
SF

Edited by stonefish (12/27/23 04:46 PM)