C'man,

I've posted that numerous steelhead runs are at CC under contemporary environmental conditions, both freshwater and marine. This was in discussions about wild steelhead over on the fly fishing forum. That conversation made it only as far as a district bio, since retired. I don't think Eleazer would carry water for that contention because there are a lot of negative implications, not the least of which is co-manager relations. North sound stocks that could likely handle CNR seasons are Nooksack and Samish, but the latter would have to be limited entry. Limited entry is likely a non-starter in PNW fishing culture.

There are numerous small runs of Atlantic salmon in Quebec where fishing is allowed. However it is strictly controlled by ZEC, the management program. Most of it is limited entry, and day tickets (needed in addition to a fishing license) cost from around $60 to over $150.

So yes, a strong argument can be made that most WA wild steelhead runs are at their carrying capacities under current environmental conditions. Heck, that should be at least self evident. That was part of my analysis for Occupy Skagit.