As far as the "holier than thou" cnr idiots that think they'll be allowed to continue to fish. You guys have alot to learn!!!
Never kill any fish??? Give me a break!! I don't have the mortality numbers but there has to be some that die. Odds are if that fish is bleeding it's a goner. There's to many parasites and bacteria in the water that home right in on that.
Not to mention what the stress does to the fish.

As far as hatchery vs. wild and if the hatcheries are doing damage to the wild fish is a debate that will always be there.
I do know one thing. If you shut the hatcheries down you can kiss your fishing goodbye. Just from a law enforcement stand point. Let's say you're a game warden drivin by a closed river and see someone fishing, you know they're doin something wrong. If you drive by a river thats open and see people fishing who knows what they're doing. Yeah you can stop and talk, but you don't see those 3 wild nookies in the trunk of their car.

Look at how many people are on the rivers fishing when the salmon are in. How long will it take to get a wild run with the same kind of numbers? 20yrs? 50yrs? 100yrs? All depends on the river system. Regardless it's alot longer than any tax payer, fisherman, tackle shop owner is willing to wait cause a bunch of idiots wanted the hatcheries shut down.

If this area wasn't so populated the whole idea might work but look around you. I'm amazed at the cars on the road between here and Auburn every morning. If only 1% of those people fished, without hatcheries we'd really be in a world of hurt.

One last thing:
Watch what you ask for!!!!!!!!