DanS
In answer to your question...the Quilcene summer chum run(with the help of hatchery supplementation) is very healthy( 5000 spawners plus on the average) and is in little danger overall even with all the idiots we have both seen on that river. Now on the otherhand I watched the summer chum runs on both the Duck and the Dosey plummet from several thousand fish to only a few hundred. Every time I went by those rivers to check on those runs...guess what I found....some urban cowboy rivers runs through it types whooping it up on those fish with their flyflogging outfits...and the fish kept getting fewer every year even though the Quil's run kept getting healthier(maybe due to the hatchery?)! But hey they had a steelhead punchcard and it was open so they could get away with it....well sadly not anymore. So the diference my friend is one of apples and oranges...the Quil chums are healthy and able to take the abuse whereas the other runs were not healthy and unable to take the abuse. Do I like what happens on the Quil? Not anymore than you do...but that situation there is more one of ethics not protection. rolleyes

RichG alraedy knew that would be your response laugh .