The thing that bothers me is that some people are not at all concerned with the probability that the currently depressed natural runs will never in our lifetime be healthy enough to allow any kind of targeted fishery...and this most definitely includes CNR. Meaning that guess what...You ain't even gonna get to CNR! Prime example is what has happened here on Hood Canal. We have a listed stock...Hood Canal Summer Chum....that was being slyly targeted by a bunch of "rivers runs through it" types for CNR fishing under the claim of "hey officer I'm fishing for steelhead( or trout)." Guess what? Those lower sections of the Dosewallips and Duckabush are now closed to ALL FISHING INCLUDING CNR during the time those poor salmon are in the rivers! And I'm dam proud to claim a role in lobbying to bring that about...thank you.
Sad thing is I will likely never again get to fish those portions of my home rivers that hosts very large numbers of 24 inch plus searun Cutts during the closure period. Yep...guess what ...not even CNR is allowed...but I was more than willing to give up that opportunity to protect those fish....and other than my friend lTlcleo I don't see too many others willing to do the same? I will go elsewhere and fish where there is opportunity to catch fish where my impact even doing the CNR thing will have the least impact on naturally produced fish. Peace!