I'm with Leadslinger. I'm not buying WTs spin on this; it's all about closing hatcheries. All I see is WT trying to spank an under-budgeted WDFW into an arena that they have no resource, either staff or money, to make a valid attempt at compliance. WT makes it sound like WDFW is either too lazy or too apathetic concerning chinook to do what is right so the almighty WT is going courageously take it on themselves to kick their ass. Does WT expect someone in a WDFW management position to work on this compliance problem on his off-time? I doubt it considering WDFW's pay scale. Can you possibly imagine how frustrating it would be to work for WDFW? Low pay, the "Peter Principle" in full bloom and all the politics? It is a wonder they can get anything done and my hat's off to all of them. Sure there are problems, but lobbying for more money for WDFW would be a better approach. You get what you pay for.

I think a lot of the upstream migration problems cited by WT for chinook are encountered due to WDFW trying to capture brood stock. Some of these problems would be solved if ALL hatchery chinook were marked, however the co-managers will have none of that. I don't think even WT is arrogant enough to give the Tribes 60 days notice to come into compliance with ESA.

Smalma made a good point, WDFW hasn't been producing fall chinook for years on the Snohomish system yet I have seen no increase in fall chinook. I doubt if the Tokul Creek facility has a significant impact on the Snohomish system fall chinook.

If the diversion dam on Tokul needs fixing I suggest we all help WT have a car wash to raise funds to fix it. Hell, Issaquah is only down the road, maybe they can get their executive director to go for free Krispy Kreams, he certainly has a way with people.

Beezer