Doesn't sound right, does it?

There should be no question this defense isn't what it had been the previous 3 years. Considering how young most of the players are, one would think they would still be improving, but they aren't. There may be something to the speculation over all the players that just signed big contracts, but I think a lot of what we're seeing has more to do with other teams around the league figuring out how to exploit the weaknesses (which aren't many, but are being exposed frequently). I remarked earlier that, while they're still making plays every game, the defensive line doesn't seem to be getting pressure on QBs as quickly or as often as what we've seen in the past, and that always makes even the best secondaries look pedestrian at times. I think this is what has made it so easy for teams to pick on Kerry Williams. He's pretty good at initial bump and run coverage, but he can't seem to maintain coverage very well. I think that's been true of every guy who's played opposite Sherman. The difference might just be that the pass rush was getting there more quickly and more regularly, forcing QBs to throw too soon or take sacks.

Whatever it is, it's on the defense (the coordinator, specifically) to figure out what teams are doing to them and fix it. I'm sure they know what's been hurting them, but the answers don't appear to be coming easily.

Likewise, teams seem to have figured out how to defend Russell Wilson. You're right to point out that the defense has given up the leads late (and in some cases early). Actually, that happened many times during the past few years. The difference in past years has been that Russell's been able to pull off late drives to win more often than not. This year, not once so far (though he hasn't had real opportunities to do so in most cases).

I whine a lot about the appearance that the offensive strategy doesn't seem to match Wilson's game. When this team makes a big play, it's usually when the called play gets blown up. That's when Wilson is most dangerous and makes the plays that we've grown accustomed to seeing. We talk about how he's not a good pocket passer. We also see the offensive line getting beat on almost every play, and that certainly hasn't helped, but in many cases, it looks like Russell just holds the ball too long. The one skill all the best veteran QB's all have is the ability to get the ball out quick. This is more a function of trust in the receivers than it is of the QB's throwing skill. That Russell often holds the ball too long suggests that either his receivers aren't getting open, that he doesn't have enough confidence in their ability to "win" close plays, or that he's nervous about making mistakes. It's probably all three. I'm sure it's not this simple, but it seems like the Seahawks just need to get past their conventions about how they want to play offense and let him take over. The more Wilson runs around, the more big plays happen. That much is certainly true.