What I don't understand is why any group, be it left, right, middle-of-the-road feels that they have the right to tell me how to live. If I am opposed to gay marriage, they I don't have to marry a guy. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is required. What you do is up to you.

The US was founded, at least according to my schooling and reading, on the idea that all men are created equal. I will agree that it has taken us a while to actually live up to that, but we try. As long as I do not actually physically interfere in someone else's life, I should be good to go.

It seems to me that those people, of whatever political or religous persuasion, say that it is "My way or the highway" are really no different than the Islamic zealots we seem to fear so much. What is the difference between a government based on a literal reading of the Koran and a government based on a literal interpretation of the Bible? Both are certainly opposed to the US Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the other Amendments.