Always remember, the smaller the idiot and the bigger the talker, the more likely they are insane or armed. Around here you also never know who you are talking to. . I remember when I was younger I did something stupid and got jumped by 4 Samoans. All were bigger than me, with 3 looking like they could have played NFL football. Here's the story. Some idiot in a pinto station wagon got pissed off at my driving and rammed my bumper. No damage but when I looked back some fat old dude was leaning out the window cussing at me. I had a bat and jumped out and started to say something. That's when the fat guy turned into a 6'3, 300 pound Samoan, and the car behind that produced three 6'6" 240 lb line backers. I quickly realized I could break the bat on anyone of them and it would not have stopped them. Remember, 1 turned into 4 in less than 5 seconds. I tossed the bat in the car, reached for the door and was sent flying over the hood with one sucker punch. Luckily they just got back in their cars and left or I would have easily been dead. One punch, 5 seconds and a trip to the ER for 8 stitches over my eye. I doubt a 45 would have stopped the big guy before he, and then his friends, got to me.
You never know how quickly something can turn. Never underestimate anyone.

You really never do know who that stupid little punk is, or how stupid or capable they might be. There was also a news report a few years ago about two Rangers that picked a fight with some guy outside a Tacoma bar. Turns out he was a world class fighter. Just about killed both of them and they ended up in hospital with life threatening injuries.
Every time I get pissed off at some idiot, I try to remember these experiences.
I don's scare easily but have learned how quickly things can turn. You mention the sheriff that was killed recently. Never forget that he was trained, armed, and wearing body armor and still got killed.