Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
The Tribes have stated they would also seek a Federal permit to fish. My question? Would or could their permit process take just as long preventing them from fishing? This almost seems like an end around to negotiate in good faith, by either party. No agreement, no fishing for anyone, period!

Both sides could be in jeopardy of being shore bound in Puget Sound and not fishing without an agreement, according to the NOAA's letter regarding "going alone."

“In addition, a separate tribal plan could require a new NEPA assessment by the BIA. While NOAA Fisheries believes proposals for tribal only fisheries could receive ESA approval so long as conservation objectives were being met, it is likely that the analysis and review of the newly-structured proposals would be time consuming, and might not be completed before the proposed fisheries would be over.”

If it really is NOAA’s intent to have both parties come to an agreement then they could help that process by applying equal measures like warned in the the letter.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them