Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
If there was an ounce of transparency to this process, I might have an update for you.

this has been bugging me since you posted it, at first it was because i didnt really understand what you were saying.... now i kinda understand, and its BS...

this is from an article recently posted by the PI...

"At the meeting state fishery managers offered an alternative proposal for sport fisheries with a 50 percent harvest cut on an expected poor Puyallup River return of 353 wild chinook and 3,708 hatchery fish.

The state cuts included a Carbon River sport fishery closure of two months during peak chinook arrival time; closing salmon fishing in south-central Puget Sound – known as Marine Catch Area 11 in the Tacoma area – from November through January; and a Commencement Bay closure.

These reductions come on top of those already made for an expected poor Puget Sound wild coho return.

A few days before the meeting, the tribes issued two additional packages the state needed to agree on in order to come to terms. Each included a much larger cut to the sport fishing package.

One tribal proposal called for a total sport fishing closure in the Puyallup and Carbon rivers; close the entire salmon season in south-central Puget Sound; close the hatchery-marked selective fishery in central Puget Sound from mid-July to mid-August; and a hatchery chinook catch quota reduction in northern Puget Sound from 3,260 to 2,500. The tribes offered to reduce their netting time on the Puyallup to just six hours of fishing, which is similar to recent years."

now heres what im talking about... "low return" is BS, the wild fish are right around what they usually are i think, maybe a few more fish, but the hatchery returns are fairly HIGHER than previous years (yes i know its an estimate that could swing lower, or even higher)...

all numbers are taken from Dec 31st as to make sure all Kings returned to Voights:

2015 : 2884 Adults, 1009 Jacks

2014: 2659 Adults, 65 Jacks

2013: 1571 Adults, 26 Jacks

2012: 966 Adults, 147 Jacks

2011: 2320 Adults, 51 Jacks

2010: 2359 Adults, N/A Jacks

2009: 3042 Adults, 18 Jacks

2008: 3096 Adults, 44 Jacks

2007: 4464 Adults, 135 Jacks

2006: 4629 Adults, 605 Jacks

as you can see, with the exception of 06 and 07, this years run of Kings is expected to be greater than any of the last 10 years... so how is that "low numbers"... they did the same sh!t last year when they said there was "no Coho", yet Voights got back 6100+ fish, year before, 6500...

basically what im sucking up from this, and thinking what you meant SG, is that they want the fish, and thats that.... they will make up bullsh!t statements that can be proven wrong historically as they are marked on the WDFW site, all while practicing what they always have for the last god knows how many years....

GREED.....

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/posit...rticle_left_1.1