It is foolish and not productive to be frustrated with or blame individuals who have worked to protect our access to fisheries. They know the system and the framework that exist. Below are a few paragraphs from the January 19 NMFS letter to the tribes and the state, posted by bushbear the following day. It is worth while to read that letter again knowing what has happened. No one agency or group can be blamed for where we are at today.

“In 2015, and even as we now enter the North of Falcon process for 2016, considerable discussion
has focused on consequences that could occur should the co-managers fail to reach agreement on
fisheries in Puget Sound through the North of Falcon process. Those consequences have broad
reach, but certainly could affect decisions to be made by NOAA Fisheries under the MagnusonStevens
Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA) regarding the ocean salmon fisheries
(Pacific Fishery Management Council or PFMC fisheries); and NOAA's ability to make timely
determinations under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) regarding Puget Sound fisheries.

To approve the Council's final management measures, NOAA Fisheries must make a determination
that the measures are consistent with the MSA. The MSA has procedural and biological
requirements for approval which are captured in the FMP, but also requires that the fishery be
consistent with "other applicable law." "Other applicable law" with respect to Puget Sound stocks
means that NOAA Fisheries must determine that the management measures:

• Are consistent with the ESA.
• Are consistent with the Pacific Salmon Treaty (PST).
• Allow for full exercise of treaty rights by affected treaty fishing tribes, consistent with
court orders in U.S. v. Washington, U.S. v. Oregon, Hoh v. Baldrige and other cases.

Implementation of the PST in the United States is governed by the Pacific Salmon Treaty Act
(PSTA). The PSTA governs the makeup and conduct of the U.S. Section of the Pacific Salmon
Commission and provides for enforcement of the PST in the U.S. The PSTA authorizes NOAA Fisheries to preempt "any action . . . the results of which place the United States in jeopardy of not
fulfilling its international obligations under the Treaty .... "

All of the management starts with the Pacific Salmon Treaty Act which expires in 2018. NOF is just one step in the process, an important one but not the final determination of season setting. I would hope that Puget sound sport fishers and the tribes would work to address what I posted in January.

“I would also note that the PST expires in 2018 and new negotiations are starting this year. It is a treaty and the negotiations are carried out by federal agencies, advised by interested parties and hopefully good scientific information. The concepts of river of origin, limiting weak stocks, and interception fisheries all must be addressed. The Yukon, Fraser, and Columbia rivers played a significant role in the present treaty. I think the Puget Sound chinook should be given a larger role in the upcoming negotiations and Alaska catches of southern stocks should be constrained. I know the west coast Vancouver Island fishery organizations are supporting Canadian research with the goal of increasing their chinook catch share. I hope that Washington and Oregon interested parties are getting involved.”