Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
This is a stinking pile of poo--- but it had to happen. The tribes offer was basically no saltwater fishing when there was an offer by WDFW where there would have been a short season on chinook . Tribes turned that offer down. This was death by a thousand cuts. Easier to stop the bloodletting from one big wound than a thousand little wounds. In a real co management arrangement the parties would sit in the same room and work out a plan. Instead we Have WDFW working on a plan and the tribes working on a plan and instead of a compromise we have one side not only refusing to move but then add additional conditions at the last minute.

WDFW brought this situation on a long time ago. I have called BS for a long time when I first started going to the NOF meetings. I asked WHY the "negotiations" with the Tribes was done in closed meetings. I asked WHY aren't the Tribes subject to the same enforcement conditions the rest of us are. I asked WHY ESA listed fish are allowed to be harvested in a gill net, but I get fined or worse if I keep one.
I've been asking these and many other "un-comfortable" questions for so long and now it's like a surprise that it's come to this.

This State has never been in the role of co-manager. It has ALWAYS been an enabler and into appeasement.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)