Here are a couple things I've been wondering about and can't seem to find answers to...

From what I am hearing, the Muckleshoots and Puyallups have been driving the "negotiations" from the tribal side. But, there are at least 19 other Treaty Tribes. I can't imagine they are all in agreement with these two tribes. Do those two tribes have more influence than the others? I am pretty sure the Lummis and the Makah are are larger in terms of fishing. And the Makah tribe has a vested interest in there being a sportfishing season since alot of their tribes income is from tourism.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Secondly, if the end of the month comes and there is no deal...

I assume the tribes have already applied for their NOAA-F permit, and it's been alluded to that they will get it fast-tracked. IF that happens and they hit the water and we are not permitted, how does that jive with Boldt? Seems like it would be outright discrimination on the part of the feds and would open them up to a lawsuit by WA.

From what I heard on Tom Nelson's show, NOAA is essentially trying to strongarm WDFW to cave to the tribal demands "or else" (I guess "or else" means that they are threatening a long, drawn-out permit process).

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

Seems to me the Tribes hold all the cards here, and they know it. What they don't take in fish, they will take in entitlements or via lawsuits.

I wonder if ultimately this should be legitimized and tribes could be compensated to NOT fish commercially and instead back off to just sustenance and ceremonial catch.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that's been proposed before and is a hot-button issue.

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (04/25/16 10:00 AM)