Can someone explain to me where WDFW is in the process of applying for ESA take coverage for listed Chinook?

The reason I ask this is because this issue -- potentially shutting down fisheries if no agreement with the tribes is reached -- is not new. If I recall correctly, the issue came up last year as well when the WDFW capitulated to tribal demands and closed area 10. I seem to recall reports at the time saying WDFW was "blindsided" and capitulated because its leadership concluded that if no agreement was reached it would likely result in closed fisheries throughout Puget sound, and maybe even on the coast. So it appears WDFW has known about this problem for at least a year, and it knew the situation could resurface this year.

It doesn't take a genius in game theory to understand that WDFW is at a significant negotiating disadvantage when it must rely on reaching agreement with each of the tribes in order to proceed with its proposed fisheries. I would expect 2015's North of Falcon process to have driven that point home to WDFW's leadership.

So, given that, did WDFW take any proactive steps to secure the necessary ESA take coverage? I'm not trying to bash WDFW here -- I really just want to understand what kind of contingency planning the agency did given that the lack of agreement with one or more tribes was very foreseeable. And, if WDFW did not take any proactive steps, perhaps there are good reasons why it didn't -- and if there are I'd like to hear them.

It's quite probable that even if WDFW had started the ESA take coverage process (e.g., rule 4(d) exemption, Sec. 10 permit) immediately after North of Falcon 2015, the process would still not be complete. Nonetheless, if it had started the process (i.e., prepared and submitted an application), it may have been in a much better position than it is today.