Sorry about the thread drift. On the plus side, the sidebar was an interesting conversation.

To bring it back to the original reason why I brought up Lake Cushman (which was very much relevant to the overall topic at hand), I learned some interesting facts about the Skokomish restoration project, but nowhere in what has been discussed do I see justification for including Lake Cushman in this year's closures, which are about existing, ESA-listed, anadromous, native salmon, not experimental hatchery programs (whose first adults won't return for at least two years from now). In short, I still don't see why Cushman should be closed this year. I don't fish it much (and I don't know how many do), but in a year like this, where people will be seeking out any opportunity to fish, it seems to me like keeping as many alternatives available as possible is the right thing to do. Blanket closures may be easier to implement, but that doesn't make them good management of what resources are available to the license-buying sportsman.