Yes / No I broodstocked Chinook for over 20 years and they have patterns but when where how is a moving target. 2020 2021 it was rain that pulled fish up early but last year the darn critters just did on thier own in a manner seldom seen! In the dry early 90s Chinook males came in normal timed but not females. When the Chum moved with time not water here came the females all at once with the Chum. For instance for years in tidewater Coho stoped at the pump house down to the Landing red fish all over everyone waited for incoming tide for FRESH fish or biters they were called. Then the location moved upstream to South Elma down to below the Satsop not staging mind pausing before going upstream to stage as the vast majority of Chehalis Coho stay below Porter staged up until it rains .

So it is always the same but different but if you know the fish and are on the river fishing you catch on to what the pattern is in any given year. That is how you know where to fish for heavens sake. One does not set and fish where a few are you go to where the fish are and now adays it can will be crowded!

Once salmon stage up waiting for rain they do not bite all that well if at all. When doing the move stop bit sure they bite but that is why you drift a stream or power boat around to find the fish. One thing the fish are not is trapped or stuck in the river no matter what the flows. What they are if you know where they are stopping headed up stream is catchable. Finding them is called fishing but how dare the fish provide real oportunity to inriver fishers!

In days back the managers had to know the fish and not on paper but what the river said. Now we manage with laptop computers and data. Like I said I am old but anyone should understand the real difference between the two. Also enforcement really does not care for inriver fishers. Lots of people with many lacking a real understanding of fishing etiquette, the rules, noisy, and the vast majority detest WDFW. None of that leads to a good outcome.