04/13/2022

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Problem with sonar is that it counts everything that passes; doesn't ID fish. We rarely have a 100% clean passage.

Again, way back when, dealers were required to report sales rapidly. WDF had samplers who examined and summarized tickets daily. We had 95 (goal) to 99% of a day's catch within 3 days of the fishery. Co-management has allowed that to slip to where I saw some fisheries unreported months after they occurred.

But, managing by auto-pilot is cheaper, requires fewer changes, etc.

Rivrguy and I go "round and round" on this. If you want a "quick idea of fish movement", then sonar seems to be the way to go.

If you want species of fish, hatchery/wild, fresh/colored up, then as they are going to the fish buyer or in the fish house would be the best way to go. We are know that with technology the way it is today, WDFW could have a complete, current, trend on what is happening when a active netting schedule is taking place. Yes, there would have to be "WDFW personnel at the buyer site or in the fish house" but this would be the most accurate way to go.

It would take WDFW and the tribes to buy into, "quick reporting" and for WDFW personnel to work different schedules, to be available when the fish were at the buyer or in fish house. As Co-managers of the resources, the trust factor should be there!!!!

I just got a IPhone 13 Pro, its amazing what is possible to do. From fish buyer or fish house, numbers should be at, lets say, Region 6 Office in Montesano, in minutes. Granted, there would have to be a person in Montesano to tally all the data but could go far in "quick, in season, management"!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (04/13/22 10:18 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"