This past spring into summer the Chehalis Basin was closed for angling to protect Spring Chinook. I think we all can agree that our Springers need to be protected but the manner it was done and the standards applied were of concern. I filed a Public Records Request and this internal e mail ( and several others ) along with a letter from the Deputy Director, Fish Program raised some serious questions outlined below.

I will post up the Deputy Directors letter in a bit. Forgive the formatting but when posting information I do not alter anything from the source.

Good morning Kirt,

On July 12, 2019 I submitted questions regarding the closure of the Chehalis Basin to all fishing. Subsequently on July 31, 2019 I received the attached response from the Assistant Director, Fish Program which is attached. I chose not to respond as I had a Public Records Request submitted and frankly felt that issue could be best served by waiting until I had enough information to address the issue. Let me be clear I fully support the protection of Chehalis Basin Spring Chinook now and will so in the future but feel I must take issue with the manner your subordinates utilized to address the issue. The e mail below from Rob Allan and several others provided the information to allow me to again address the issue as I have several questions.

It is my understanding that Chad herring, South Coast Fishery Policy Lead, reports to you for the management of salmon harvest. What I and others did not know was that Mr. Herring is the individual with the responsibility for all sport angling opportunity. It was my understanding, along with most of the public, that the Region 6 Fish Program Director, currently Mr. Losee, utilizes another process outside of NOF to set game fish seasons. Simply put just who and what process governs the Region 6 game fishing rule making process?

The July 31 response stated that a near zero harvest impact standard was to be used for Spring Chinook management for 2019 for the Chehalis Basin. The Deputy Director identified that the 2018 Spring Chinook escapement as 35% of the goal and 2019 projected to be 42% as justification for the closure to achieve near zero harvest impacts. As this is a standard that I have not seen applied prior is it now the Quinault Nation, Chehalis Confederation, and WDFW South Coast Fishery Policy Lead that presently set game fishing regulations?

Is all game fishing to be closed in lakes and streams that a salmon stock is forecast to be between 35% to 45% of the escapement goal?

Is the near zero impact standard utilized by Mr. Herring a standard for the Chehalis Basin Spring Chinook a Chehalis Basin standard only or is the new statewide standard?

The Grays Harbor Management Policy (GHMP) clearly identifies a maximum of 5% harvest impacts as a maximum allowed under the circumstances that exist with Spring Chinook in 2019 but as identified in the July 31 letter your staff chose to utilize the most extreme interpretation of the GHMP, why? The closure affected mostly the local angling public identified by Rob's e mail below that has historically had the least impact on Chehalis Springers if measurable at all.

With ESA listed salmon stocks in many parts of the state why was the Chehalis Spring Chinook protections far more strident than those utilized for ESA listed stocks in Puget Sound, the Columbia River and tributaries, and in general the rest of the state or is this the new non ESA stocks statewide standard? Is this standard going to be applied to game fishing statewide? If so why? If not why?

I believe my questions and the issues raised by Rob deserve an answer.

Dave

Rob Allan e mail thread:

Thanks Chad.

A few concerns regarding closing the Chehalis mainstem. I thought we were looking for ways to say yes?

Prohibits a popular hook and release sturgeon fishery.

Prohibits a popular invasive species fishery on bass. We know what these do.

Poor spring Chinook runs opens the door to decrease fisheries every year. I’m not speaking about spring Chinook fisheries.

If we can find a way to open sturgeon and bass fishing at least below Black River our constituents may swallow this a little easier.

If poor escapement can close a river down to all other species fishing, we are out of business.

Ok done,

Rob

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 4:57 PM

To: Cunningham, Kelly J (DFW) < Kelly.Cunningham@dfw.wa.gov>; Adicks, Kyle K (DFW) < Vincent.Adicks@dfw.wa.gov>; Hughes, Kirt M (DFW) < Kirt.Hughes@dfw.wa.gov>; Burley, Craig C (DFW) < Craig.Burley@dfw.wa.gov>

Cc: Phillips, Larry C (DFW) < Larry.Phillips@dfw.wa.gov>; Allan, Robert C (DFW) < Robert.Allan@dfw.wa.gov>

Subject: Chehalis Spring Chinook

Kelly,

Just had a conversation with Tyler Jurasin from QIN regarding spring Chinook in the Chehalis system. Our forecasted return of spring Chinook to the Chehalis watershed is 581 fish compared to an escapement goal of 1,400 (41.5%). WDFW-managed directed Spring Chinook fisheries where closed in the Chehalis system, via e-reg on April 9th. As a further conservation measure all game fish fisheries were also closed, via e-reg on May 10th, where encounters with Spring Chinook were likely to occur (i.e. Chehalis mainstem, Newaukum and Skookumchuck rivers). This emergency regulation expired on June 30. QIN expressed their concern over the forecasted returns of Spring Chinook as well as the environmental conditions those fish will/are encountering could further reduce an already low forecasted return. QIN is considering a continuing closure of their sturgeon fishery on the Chehalis side of Grays Harbor throughout the entirety of their season. They would not prosecute any fisheries until the beginning of the fall season in statistical week 40 (week of Sept. 29th).

My recommendation is to immediately close gamefish fisheries in the mainstem Chehalis, Newaukum, and Skookumchuck Rivers until further notice as a conservation measure to protect Chinook. On August 1, the Chehalis mainstem from the mouth to south monte bridge is planned to be open for a directed jack fishery. This fishery takes place in the lower river and poses little to no risk of spring Chinook encounters. I discussed this fishery with QIN and we were in agreement that this fishery poses little risk to spring Chinook populations. So, after August 1 thru the end of the month, I would recommend below south monte bridge revert to rules as discussed in NOF 2019 but for mainstem above and relevant tribs (Newaukum and Skookumchuck rivers) remain closed through the end of the month.

Chad Herring

South Coast Fishery Policy Lead

Montesano Regional Headquarters

48 Devonshire Rd

Montesano WA, 98563

Office#:(360)249-1299

Cell #:(360)470-3410

Chad.herring@dfw.wa.gov<mailto:Chad.herring@dfw.wa.gov>

Edited by Rivrguy (11/23/19 08:34 AM)