I argued and was shouted down initially that WB genetics was always so heavily influenced by CR strays (both hatchery and wild), that it was pointless to try and argue that there was ever any pristine WB chinook genetics. Its always been a mongrel stock. We can debate that if you like, but I think the numbers are on my side here. While you may not like the way they are integrated, but they are identical-- that is by definition fully integrated. From a genetics point of view, starting a segregated stock is not really the way forward as you're starting from scratch. I think the idea that the habitat ever supported lots of chinook naturally is questionable given the small size of these rivers. If you insist the goal is more NOS then bring as many NOS into the hatchery as you can. I understand from the hatchery reports there are many NOS at the rack that are never used.

The WB "public process" on this has been ridiculous. The WDFWs goals have been muddled from the get go. Even with the policy in place the decision making process has been abysmally inconsistent.

If the goal 10 years ago was to destroy the saltwater WB fishery in its entirety, it seems the decision making has been on point to achieve that goal. The current course set will clearly lead to ESA listing. The only question is when.

I'm utterly embarrassed to have ever participated in this fiasco.