04/22/2022

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
T
We have already witnessed the decline in youngins Steelhead participation related to the river closures and other restrictions. Salmon bank fishing the rivers is the last opportunity to keep the interest going. When or if those numbers disappear I fear, we as recs, will lose what leverage we currently have, which isn't much.

I do agree with this. I tried to get my 2 boys on the river as much as possible, but it was one at a time and I was into trolling......both boys caught many adult salmon that way, if I could have a "do over", I'd have spent more time fishing "jacks". My boys are 53 and 50 now so this would have been more than 40+ years ago...WHEN THE SATSOP HATCHERY WAS PUTTING OUT LOTS OF COHO and I'm sure "jacks were there by the 1000's. Now I've been retired since 1997, and can't wait to fish jacks. In all that time, since 1997, I can count on 2 hands the amount of kids or women that are fishing jacks, where I fish.

Wynoochee River, caught waaaaaaaay more than my share of summer run. If there was a young boy or girl that was where I fished and I hooked a fish....I always asked he they wanted to "play the fish"....some did, some didn't but they had the chance....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"