For those questioning the difference between the Rec and nets encounters with NOR Chinook the question was asked and R-6 responded.

Look at the Rec encounters with non local fish and a substantial portion are of GH origin. This is relevant as the QIN for GH required balance ( their share ) of the GH Chinook after they enter WA waters ( per Boldt ). They had not done that before so C&R for GH Chinook this year. I can map a scenario that is well based ( no dart board ) that the Willapa Rec fishery on the front of the Willapa could adversely / or limit GH fisheries in particular the GH bay fishery. Bad thing happen when you do not count all impacts but it is much worse when you then do count all impacts. Somebody has to loose.

Hi Brian,

That is a good question, the answer, I believe, is the difference in where those fisheries were prosecuted. The marine rec fishery takes place in the north end of Willapa Bay with the majority of the effort taking place along Washaway Beach. Conversely, the commercial fishery that was prosecuted in stat week 36 was in commercial catch areas 2M and 2R. These catch areas are in the extreme southern end of Willapa Bay. The genetic data that the Department has collected to date suggests the stock composition of the north versus the south ends of Willapa Bay are significantly different. In the north, approximately 58% of fish encountered are of local origin as opposed to 90% local origin in the south end. Another factor that is in play here is a difference in run timing between hatchery and natural origin Chinook. Those would be my thoughts as to why the discrepancy in encounter rate for stat week 36.
Thanks,

Chad Herring
Willapa Bay Policy Implementation Biologist
Montesano District Office
48 Devonshire Rd
Montesano WA, 98563
Office#:(360)249-1299
Cell #:(360)470-3410
Chad.herring@dfw.wa.gov

Edited by Rivrguy (09/13/17 10:08 AM)