Well it is Sunday and the QIN go in at noon so it is safe to post something up. Some of us wondered if the large movement of Coho the last two weeks of Sept would continue and in a word nope. It appears that the movement was simply the front of the run coming in mass and not a steady flow as that would mean a huge run size we have not seen, ever!

Think of a graph that starts and numbers of Coho increase by week, then peak, and decrease by week. Now it is the last two weeks of September and go forward in graph weeks to the first two weeks of October and take those fish and bunch them up in earlier September weeks and you have a bubble of fish returning. What is lending credence to this line of thought is how the numbers of fish moving has dropped substantially. So minus a rain event just how far into the normal weeks on the graph did the fish do? No idea but it was a bit of October’s fish to be sure and my 10 spot in the pool is a couple of weeks.

We have had fish moving the last few days but the numbers are more like what gets above commercial nets rather than a net free river with fish on the move. Add to the mix is this has been the worst case of fish with lock jaw I can remember in tidewater.

This is an interesting tid bit. I talked to a QIN fishing and first day in Coho in good numbers but next day not as good but that night they got a bunch of Chinook 15 to 18 lbs. In total they thought they did okay but nothing like they thought they would as the “mob” of fish that had filled tidewater for the better part of two weeks moved Saturday before they went in. Lucky for us Rec’s inland to be sure.

The set that NT Commercials had for 7 hours got them 1174 Coho and the QIN numbers are not up. For 7 hours that is OK but the numbers we have seen fishing since then do not indicate those numbers continued. Then one has to think lock jaw and the answer to the question of what fish are moving is rather impossible arrive at.

Going forward bottom line is above the QIN fishers inland one should not expect to see a lot of fresh fish but some numbers, bay should be OK, and tidewater below South Monte will suck until next Thursday at the least.