11/19/2021

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

This is getting to be an issue because that Satsop has only made wild Coho escapement 7 of the last 20 years and not in the last 5. The Hoquiam, Wishkah, and Wynoochee are performing similar with the Nooch being an absolute basket case. The Nooch Coho returns are so bad that if they did the mitigation Coho ( that WDFW has not done as required ) that we still could not fish that river itself because the wild Coho are so weak that a release wild hooking mortality would bring the numbers way down.

Well here I go again, Hoquiam, Wishkah, Wynoochee rivers not enough Wild Coho to make escapement so looks like things need to change from Westport to 105 Bridge.

Alaska and Canada are part of the problem, BUT no one wants to take that on.

I've felt that 100% of the NT and QIN fish, need to be accounted for either Wild or hatchery, in a timely manner. WDFW should post those numbers on the State web site.

As it is now there is more value to wild fish, than hatchery.....short Wild fish, then maybe major problems for future years.

The present method of getting a handle on wild numbers is spawning surveys and punch cards data from sports fishermen.....both long after the majority of the Wild Coho have spawned.....for sure way to late to do anything in the current year.

If the NT and QIN would make available the Coho numbers, maybe something could be done in the current year. Region 6 doesn't like to make any adjustments to the schedules.....so even if the nets showing waaaay more Wilds than hatchery, I doubt if anything would get done?????? I think that is why there is no accounting of Wild vs. hatchery during the season, THAT I'VE SEEN.

Sports above 105 Bridge did our bit this year, hatchery only, not many of those caught around the area I fished.........I checked the Satsop Springs and Bingham hatchery's. quite a few hatchery Coho are showing now.....guess I need to re-learn how to catch those hatchery Coho????

Now I do know that Region 6 has shut the whole season down, 2015, Chehalis and tribs. 100%, no Chum fishery and no summer run steelhead on the Wynoochee, no nothing but it was after QIN, NT, Bay fishery was ending.....I never did, know what prompted that closure.

Edited by DrifterWA (11/19/21 08:34 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"