Even if the Satsop was passable above the old W. Fork launch, it's so low that floating it would be a huge chore and probably not worth the effort.

I spent yesterday doing some across-basin recon. Lower Satsop was quite crowded, so I didn't bother to fish there. I was excited to find the Wynoochee deserted, but it didn't take long, per Rivrguy's report, to figure out why. Not a salmon in sight, save for one dark jack I saw jump. Checked the Wishkah for grins. Looked more like Cloquallum Creek than anything you would call a river. I skipped fishing for the salmon that weren't present and settled for a little (semi-successful) cutthroat wrangling. After that, I decided trout fishing was the best thing going and went to a favorite spot on the upper, trout-only section of the E. Fork Satsop. No cutts (they have been hard to come by this season), but right off the bat, a 6-lb. coho that was a certifiable chromer grabbed my bugger and gave me a wild ride before coming to hand for release. I started seeing jumpers (mostly fire trucks), and I figured that must mean the fish were finally moving upriver. Figuring I might find a harvestable fish down below, I stopped off at the old W. Fork launch on the way home. There were definitely fish piled up in the holes below the launch. Again, mostly dark rollers in the wood, but I did see bright fish flashing in the deep parts of the faster water (probably new fish on the move). No bites. Other fellow fishing said he had put in a full day and also got skunked.

Anyway, it looks like there are some lockjawed fish piled up in parts of the Satsop, but that's pretty much it for the major tribs so far.