For a lot of years the Chehalis Tribal catch was part of the GH tribal which was the QIN. If I recall correctly the QIN got that changed as the Chehalis Tribe is a non treaty tribe and QIN a treaty tribe. Courts dictated that the Chehalis Tribe is entitled to a percentage of fish passing through the reservation at Oakville and it is part of the non treaty ( state ) share.

As to sharing I think it was two years ago that the QIN insisted that they get the court mandated share which means NT Washington ocean harvest count against the state share. It gits all sorts of iffy after that as QIN do not accept the state C&R mortalities ( rightly so ) and non commercial call BS on gillnet drop out mortalities ( rightly so ) or in other words everybody lies which is so. On Chinook if I was tribal I would give the word militant a whole new meaning. In the 2020 model based on modified Ocean option 2 Alaska & BC will harvest 11,733 Grays Harbor Chinook before they enter Washington waters and the state fishers will get around 250 in marine areas off the coast. The state of Washington ( WDFW ) agreed to this harvest percentage in the recently signed Harvest Annex . To put it simply be it tribal or NT we have little to say with Chinook harvest. Terminal fishers all and the fish are screwed going out the door by AK & BC and the state of Washington agreed to this. So for Chinook I leave it up to the QIN nation to deal with it as we will never have harvestable Chinook of any real numbers. Fix habitat or increase hatchery production terminal and fish escapement will get few only AK & BC ( and maybe the Orcas will benefit )

Coho are a bit different with it be US fisheries being the big dog. Our total impacts modeled ( marine & fresh ) are around 17,000 and the tribal are are about 13,000 and that is the share issue. Again WDFW agreed to the marine harvest and in the end it falls on terminal fishers to balance the scales. I will point out the Region 6 staff have about zero input on the ocean seasons only the dirty bag we terminal fishers are left holding. Kinda the way it works.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/06/20 11:23 AM)