Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
We are still working on Public Document Request and here comes this gem. Key is to read bottom up as it is the Director starting the thread. Now let us say this right now absolutely ZERO misconduct is present here. It is appropriate for any citizen to contact their elected representative and request assistance but I think this takes Rep. Blake out of the even handed approach column. You choose!!!!
From: Thiesfeld, Steven L (DFW) Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:38 PM To: Anderson, Philip M (DFW) Cc: Warren, Ron R (DFW); Scott, James B (DFW) Subject: RE: willapa/Blake
Attached are the other 2 items we handed out. DraftResponse is the preliminary recommendation from the Independent Fishery Scientist Panel on gillnet release mortality rates for Chinook. The other two are the Chinook and Coho FRAM mortality rates used by state/tribal/PFMC modelers. Net drop out would be represented by “Other Mortality”.
Concerns expressed by the commercial industry that I noted (it may not be all of them):
1. The drop out rate used was not based on a study of commercial fisheries in Willapa Bay and their fisheries are now very different than other areas such as Puget Sound. Differences such as soak time need to be considered.
2. The IFSP was not an independent committee. They specifically cited that one member fishes with Jim Martin often and Martin’s son is married to Liz Hamilton or her daughter.
3. They want money from the agency to conduct an independent review of hooking mortality.
4. With regard to the 20% limitation: they told us the Naselle couldn’t support the goal when the management plan was drafted; none of the Chinook in Willapa are wild anymore; NFMS has said they wouldn’t list Willapa Chinook under ESA; and we need to go back to managing only for hatchery fish.
5. If part of the bay is closed to commercial, it needs to be closed to recreational also.
Please let me know if there are other items you need prior to Tuesday morning.
From: Anderson, Philip M (DFW) Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:01 PM To: Thiesfeld, Steven L (DFW); Warren, Ron R (DFW); Scott, James B (DFW) Subject: willapa/Blake
Got a message from Brain today. He said his phoning was ringing off the hook about Willapa, I assume that was generated from the meeting Friday night. He requested a breakfast meeting with me soon. If you happen to see this e-mail and have an electronic copy of any hand-outs that were used Friday night or the three pieces we referenced on Friday that you could send to me, that would be great. thanks, Phil
Dazed and confused.............the fog is closing in