04/3/2022

Early rains and moving fish "up river", what most Bay and fishers from 101 Bridge to Fuller Bridge forget is there is the Chehalis tribe and 30+ miles of river are also entailed to fish.

Rivrguy was a guy who pushed "many things" but one of his main planks was that upriver fishers for many years, had only limited fishing until the "brown outs" happened.

1960's, 70's. 80's, even in the 90's....fishing pressure in GH was spread out, matter of fact the "Bay" fishery was almost nil until WDFW split the Humptulips and Chehalis into 2 river systems. The waters below 101 Bridge was pretty much left to the NT fishers, enter WDFW, the change started....Chinook fishery, John's River to 101 Bridge, became a NT/Sports battle ground, during NOF.

The 2000 - 2021 years a couple of things happened:

1. More small boat fishing from Cosie Launch, yea some trolling but lot's of anchored boats doing the cast spinners and plug bit for Coho. The "Mall" bank fishing got started, a non-boat person had a place to cast from shore AND CATCH A FISH, right off the bank in Aberdeen.

2. Guide boats, not many at 1st then more and more...4-6 clients per boat, most put in at Fuller Hill BUT many did the Johns River or 28th launches.

Hatchery reform, Wild vs. Hatchery, many tribs. NOT making escapement, mmmm, what to do.....scary thoughts, ...... Steelhead past 2 years, all kinds of rules tried to complete closures, I've on Losee ass to get the WDFW "written plans" in the long run, for native steelhead......nothing yet BUT that battle is just starting.

Would be a bitch to have Fuller Bridge to Johns River, reduced or closed, until Hoquiam, Wishkah, Wynoochee, and Satsop start making escapement.......

What then???? Guess I'd learn to fish above Fuller.......then pray the Cowlitz comes back and the guides head that way again.....

Edited by DrifterWA (04/03/22 12:30 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"