09/07/2022

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
As runs continue to decline, every year I hear someone say “it’s the best year in a long time”. I think it has a lot to do with technology.

I think it has a lot to do with a persons age....if you're not very old then the days of before the Boldt Decision you don't know, 3 steelhead limits on the Humptulips, Native steelhead of +25 pounds were taken every year...Hoh, Queets, Humptulips, Wynoochee, Chehalis, Satsop.

275 charter boats used to fish out of Westport, some charters could get 1-3 trips a day. Sport fishermen could get a special license that allowed them to fish in the ocean and sell any salmon they caught.

My biggest steelhead was caught on the Queets, during spring vacation, so April, and that fish was 26+ pounds, weighted by a tribal bio.

Grays Harbor used to have Steelhead Derby's, caught a 23# 11 oz. and NEVER Placed in the derby.

Will the big native steelhead rebound?????? Will the 50# Chinook be sport caught on local rivers, they were, but I don't think so now.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but it seemed like the days of 60's, 70's would go on forever,,,,,NOT!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"