I grew up in a tough neighborhood......

Rule 1, regardless of the method used (PSF, ISU) is that when harvest is taken, it's taken, and fisheries close.Whoesomever has taken their number is closed.

Rule 2. If you have actual in season data such as ISU, rack counts, spawner survey info (the old telephone was of great use) you could modify fisheries.

I have been involved in situations where we didn't believe the ISU, so we didn't chase paper fish. We even had one situation where we ignored one week's ISU because, even with a bad week of fishing, the next week would show harvestable.

One of the real risks with autopilot management is that you know the number is wrong but you don't know which way.

Management was a time intensive activity with lots of conflicting information floating around. The manager's job is to figure out the most likely reality and follow it. Sure, sometimes you overfish and that puts the next return's fisheries tighter. Sometimes you get more spawners which is, in my experience with wild fish, never a bad thing.