This a C&P from a multi person email that Mike got a copy. This is Mike's reply and it is straight forward and pay attention to the failure to make Coho escapement last year. I have asked for the years we failed to make escapement for the last 10 years as the RR in the forecast model is lagging 4 or so years. When we find the info you will have it also.

Hi all,

I really appreciate this type of conversation, particularly as NOF is approaching. The Agency is not against the retention of the first coho encountered, but we need to consider all things important to all anglers. Until you exceed hooking and releasing 10 wild coho to 1 hatchery coho, you are killing more wilds by retention. We can argue hook and release mortality rates all we want, but the best scientific information available suggests a 10% release mortality rate is conservative. Things to consider are, is releasing that many wild fish socially acceptable, harvest limits or season lengths, complexity of regulations (different bag limits in different river sections and/or systems), and what are the limitations. Just a heads up, the Chehalis coho spawner escapement last year did NOT achieve the goal, so that is another year below goal, 3 of the last 5 years. Policy says 5% max impact regardless of forecasted abundance. A bright note, the early indicators for this year’s return are very positive, more than forecast. I will caution, early indicators last year showed a promising return, but fizzled. Hoping we see bump the late component this year.

And just a reminder, the forecast for Chehalis coho was 2 to 1 wild to hatchery, the basis for current season.

Please continue this type of conversation. These will lead into the NOF process and hope to lead to developing more and productive options.