I think the discussion we're having about how many fish are out there is interesting. I suspect the reality is somewhere between the extremes, but I'm personally a bit concerned about the wild returns vs. projections. Seeing the Quillayute shut down is evidence that I'm not the only one. Obviously, the Quillayute system isn't the same as the Chehalis, so we can't draw straight parallels....

Managers have long used commercial catch as the key indicator of actual run sizes. As recently as a couple years ago, similarly poor gillnet catch was justification to close the sport fishery altogether. What was different that year? If memory serves, the reason given for the closure was concern that the hatcheries might not meet egg take goals (and after they did, the fishery was re-opened). Perhaps the reason we're still fishing is that the hatcheries got their fish early. If that's the case, it's a damned shame, because it suggests hatchery egg take is more important to managers than wild escapement.

As an upriver guy, I've done pretty well this year, but it's slowed down for me big time on the coastal rivers over the past couple weeks. Still catching, but the quality is less than ideal. Sounds like I should have been fishing the Middle Chehalis. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that folks are still finding bright fish. Even if I'm not, that's good news for the fishery.