Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Originally Posted By: FISH'N BRASS
If I was king for a day-I would not allow eggs on any river not open for Chinook retention until 15 Nov. I know it would be unpopular but too many are targeting chinook even though we can't keep.

Agree. Even October 15 would all but eliminate rec impact on chinook and put the conservation burden where it belongs: on the ocean and gillnet fisheries that harvest the lion's share.

One exception: the jack fishery on the lower mainstem Aug. 1-Sep. 15. I hear that fishery is rather egg-dependent, and it probably doesn't impact many adult kings. But yeah... no bait in tribs until at least Oct. 15 and no bait in the mainstem Sep. 16-Oct. 15 might help save some king impacts without sacrificing much opportunity.

Frankly, however, it's completely absurd that the stock in-river recs CAN'T harvest (and impact the least) is the one that limits our fishing. If kings need to be saved, they should be trimmed from the open ocean quota first. Wouldn't take that many to make a big difference down here. Oh, well. Preachin' to the choir....