Does the public have legal recourse to get a neutral, non-WDFW party on the boat as a co-observer? It's a State-sponsored project....

My (admittedly cynical) prediction is that the outcome of this research will be some undisclosed number (probably relatively small, since the Nemah is basically a hatchery factory) of wild Chinook released, in varying condition, while harvesting several hundred hatchery Chinook and Coho, with a few Chum thrown in for good measure.

The report will likely look something like this:

"Wild Chinook encounters did not reach the 20 allowed in the parameters for the project. The small number of wild Chinook encountered were released in vigorous condition. The small wild encounter rate suggests that the Chinook migrating through this area are almost entirely of hatchery origin. It stands to reason that the surrounding areas of Area 2T will have similar compositions. These findings indicate that an immediate, emergency gillnet opener in Area 2T, for the remainder of September, would be a prudent measure to remove hatchery fish from the system before they have an opportunity to spawn with the apparently depressed wild stocks."

I guess my point is that this "research" has already been conducted, or at least that the outcome is fairly predictable. Almost as predictable as WDFW finding creative, new ways to maximize opportunity for the commercial sector....

As regards Theisfield, my assessment has been that he's much more engaging and forthright than his recent predecessors have been, but as Rivrguy gently suggests, I've long suspected that the decisions being announced by District 17 staff have been and continue to be made by a higher authority. Initially, I singled out the Director, but the more I see of the relationship between the WDFW Commission and the outgoing Director, the more I tend to think they're all put there to create an impression that there is a public influence on the process. The reality seems to be something other than that. As usual, following the money (campaign contributions; not revenues) will probably reveal who's really in charge.